Monday, April 11, 2005

Cut and Paste is still my favourite . . .

Well, I went to make a little comment on Droo's page http://exitsection.blogspot.com/2005/03/supreme-court-to-hear-case-on-ten.html
. . and it wasn't so little. Here it is.

I was turned off by that case about the ten commandments as well. It reminded me of when I was 6 and I asked if I could edit the God bit out of my Brownie pledge (to God, the Queen and my country etc.). I can still remember how insulted I felt when I was told that I had to just say it anyways, whether I believed in or understood anything about God. I like to be honest, and I wanted my pledge to be honest so it could mean something to me.

How are people who don't see themselves included in Christianity supposed to feel about a legal system that is claimed to be morally founded in the Christian ten commandments? Will this encourage them to put their faith in the laws of their country as being valid and just? Will they feel equal under these laws, and want to abide by them? I have problems believing in the justness of a system that is not inclusive of all the people involved.

I am the daughter of an Atheist, but was still encouraged to make up my own mind about religions. Long before my entry into Brownies another kid in the sandbox told me that I couldn't go to Heaven unless I believed in God and Jesus as my saviour. I was confused. I thought that good people went to heaven, if there was one. I was told that a murderer who repented and believed would go to heaven, whereas no matter how good I was, if I didn't believe, I couldn't get in. I was shocked. I still am. A public system that favours one religion puts a bad taste in my mouth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home