Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Working for a living

'Hey, it finally happened . . . I'm slightly mad!' (Queen)

Well, actually, what finally happened is that I found a job (even if only a two-summer student job) that I actually like enough that I will spend extra UNPAID time at it, just because I am interested in what I am doing and want to do it well. Not that I couldn't do it well in the time I am paid for, and my boss certainly doesn't expect me to stay late . . . but I like finishing up certain things just because I like it. Hah, and here I thought I would always be a clock-watcher. Well, well, there is hope for me yet.

The job, if I haven't already bragged, is as a tour guide at a nearby mill. I am not union - as I was last summer; which netted me three times the minimum wage an hour, lots of grunge work that was usually boring, more days off, fewer hours, and a few thousand dollars more in the end. I had a choice, too - I could have gone back to that job, but decided I wanted a challenge, even if it meant less cash. Even at less cash I am still making twice as much as your average full time student though. I am a lucky, lucky widget . . . most people get into the mill by nepotism. ME getting into the mill is actually my escape from nepotism . . . no longer will I have to get construction jobs (more money and less being nice than retail) and wonder if the people hired me because they know my dad! And me not feeling sure of getting my job back at the mill means that, unlike some students I have met there, I actually work hard. Some of them act like maybe their union parents do - hey, who here gets fired? Not the union guys! I don't think they even managed to fire any of the guys that like to go hide somewher in the mill and sleep (even though that is hugely unsafe and of course not exactly producing any work).

Anyways, I'll come back and edit this later. Somehow I didn't have anything to post for a while, then boom, ten ideas at once, five of them probably not worth sharing. Lalalala, in a good mood . . . bye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home