Friday, May 20, 2005

Exceeeedingly intelligent, momentarily me

Last night I worked till 10:20 pm. Yeah, you heard it. There was a big meeting in the town near the mill, where they went over the peer reviews from the air hazard study done over the last two years. It was actually really interesting - and if I'm lucky, my question to the experts might get on TV. This is because, unlike everyone else there, I wasn't involved in any pissing contest, didn't have to defend my science or my morals or my previous actions, and wondered why noone had asked where the experts would recommend the mill actually put their money in the FUTURE if they want to protect the health of the locals. Everyone else was bitching or defending what had already been done, it seems. I also asked what the locals could do to assist in appropriate testing. Of course, the experts were cut off before they had entirely finished addressing the question. Figures, eh? But the mill manager, one of the experts, and the environmental manager for the mill said I had the best question. Did I mention that I am exceedingly intelligent? Well, I temporarily was. The journalist who jotted my name down was not so smart - he assumed I was from that town. I corrected him, and waited for the obvious response "Oh, are you a mill employee?". Nope, he didn't even ask. I might be touted as a concerned citizen, who knows. Probably my soundbite will show at two in the morning, and everybody else will show the guy who was almost frothing at the mouth.

I expect some pissing contests and attacks will be on the news for wicked soundbites. Apparenly the previous meetings had more in common with Jerry Springer than organized forums with a chairman and motions and so on. The poor chair of the forum had to get savvy at chairing and fast.

Anyways, after that I just went home, told my dad what went on, and slept. Today I got the afternoon off, and used it to do a bit more work for the mill (Yeah, I might be a bit of a keener, but I kinda like my job) and went shopping in a nearb tourist trap town. I bought a bunch of my favourite cups and saucers (Royal Albert kicks ass), all used so they averaged like 12 bucks, in good condition. Some of them are maybe 90 years old. None of the ones I bought for me match, though they all pretty much go together. I bought a plate and a sugar bowl that will go with some plates my mom has - the closest thing we have to family heirlooms. Yeah, none of my family lines ever had any money for really fancy shit until after the depression, so no oak furniture for me. That's probably why I love antiques so much. Antique books, furniture, clothing, ancient houses, the whole thing - I'm fascinated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home