Sunday, August 21, 2005

Mom finally said it . . .

So, after eating lunch with my grandpa, my parents and I took a stroll around downtown Duncan. There are some nice stores there, including the excellent toy store called "the Red Balloon". We started poking around the store, and my mom was checking out some fabric doll slash chew toy when she suddenly says "Look! this would be great for a first doll . . . you had better HURRY UP AND HAVE ME SOME GRANDKIDS".

Needless to say my head whipped around. After a couple of blinks, I said "Mom, you know that if I told you next year that I would be having a kid, you would immediately tell me that you would NOT be interested in a huge ammount of free babysitting. Right?"

I mean, right? She sort of smiled and went a bit pink. I don't know how much she thought through her comment . . . and I do know that she probably would do more babysitting than she should, if I were to pop out a few toothless, helpless parasites. I would say that having a brother almost 8 years my junior is a great form of birth control. I am well aware that babies are only pink and nice smelling about 50% of their waking time. They get this great furious red colour for several unfortunate reasons, all of which I can well remember.

Dad was right there, and didn't say anything. If you have met him, you would know how odd that was. I wish I had checked out his expression to see if he was horrified. . . or thinking about how fun it would be to give a two year old some really rude and inventive vocabulary, lots of sugar, then send it back to wherever it came from. His younger brother is now a grandpa, but I didn't consider that he might be a tiny bit jealous . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home