Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Information Safety

So, my current bf doesn't want his picture on facebook, uses his visa as little as possible, and gives out as little information as he feasibly can. He hates the idea that people are tracking his purchases, noting his habits, and so on. Now it's not that I'm fond of the idea . . . you'll notice that I use nicknames and general rather than specific area indicators this blog and perhaps elsewhere on the internet.  I NEVER carry around my SIN card - hey, I'm lucky if I can find it once a year when I need it. But I still use that visa (hey, no credit will stop me from getting a mortgage just as fast as getting
 my identity stolen) and I still joined facebook, though I futzed with the options so only my accepted friends view my profile and friend list.

I figure that, especially given the lavish student life which I indulge in . . . heh . . . my identity has no particular draw for someone wanting a new one, my student credit card isn't going to get anyone very far, and there are many people who are far less careful about the info they toss around the ether than I am. Safety in numbers, and I swim along in a very large school of fish. I know I should get a little more savvy about these things . . . but I don't feel much 
pressure to do so until I have more to lose.

What do you guys recommend I do to cut down on my electronic info trail? I guess the most paranoid of you aren't going to post about it, but any hints will be appreciated. I already falsify info in most of those 'required information' fields. Hey, it is never 
too early to falsify your age . . . and the address I use when I can is an old one, where the shared-owner landlord turned out to be a dick. But apart from that, things aren't too paranoid around here,
though perhaps they will get a bit more so . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home